Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Beginnings and Pitzza

So, Sarah has gone off to Nicaragua for a couple of months, and I have decided to take this blog into my own hands. Incidentally, I have also moved across the country for a new job. Thus, with no friends, I have a lot of time to try new recipes. 

My first adventure is a simple one: Pita Pizza (or Pitzza for the clever ones out there).

This dish is great for veggie lovers.  I will list the veggies I used (mostly just what was in my fridge), but feel free to load it up with whatever catches your attention.  This recipe is super flexible.  You can even add soy cheese if that suits your fancy! (or real cheese for you non-vegans).



Pitzza (serves 2)
2 whole wheat pitas
Your favorite tomato sauce
1 small zucchini
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 onion
1 Tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven (I used a toaster oven) to 400. Cut onion in half and then into into 4ths or 8ths depending on size.  Cut the remaining vegetables into slices or chunks no larger than 1/2 inch.  Toss all cut items in a large bowl with olive oil.  Bake for 10-20 minutes.  The zucchini will take much less time than the sweet potato and onion.  They do not really burn easily, but they do dry out. 

Once the sweet potato is soft and the onions have a slightly sweet smell (you should be able to eat one easily without cringing from terrible taste) put your pitas on a pan and cover with tomato sauce.  Put the vegetables on top and bake for an additional 10 minutes at 375. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! looks good! Can't wait to try it when i get back! And why did we never try this before?!?

    ReplyDelete