Monday, February 21, 2011

Thanksgiving

Hannah and I started dating the end of October which meant that one of the largest eating holidays was right around the corner, Thanksgiving. I decided to invite her to the Thanksgiving dinner put on at my community. But I had a problem, what was I going to feed her. I knew all her food allergies, and from the choices I had left there was not much I could make.

One thing came to mind, a staple in my family which we always make for the holidays, squash biscuits. But I was a little concerned that she wouldn't even be able to eat them. Firstly the biscuits used a lot of butter and milk, both of which contain whey which she would not be able to eat, even if they were cooked in. Next I wasn't sure that she could have squash or yeast, two of the most important ingredients in the recipe. And last was a purely vane concern; would she even like them?

My family had never deviated from the recipe before; it has been the same since I first tried them as a small child. I wasn't even sure that they would taste decent if I changed them. In the end I decided to change just two things, substitute the butter with margarine and the milk with almond milk. I chose to keep the rest the same, I was pretty sure that she could eat all the other ingredients; salt, flour, yeast and white sugar.

The day of Thanksgiving my community was running around cooking and baking and decorating the convent. I had told all of my community members to try as much as possible to not use dairy, eggs, or corn in their food. In then end Hannah could eat only a few things on the table, my bread, which she quickly found out was delicious and devoured half of the rolls, some roasted brussel sprouts, and some rice.

The dinner ended well. There were many good people in attendance, the food was delicious and almost completely devoured, there was good wine and beer and many laughs. I was also able to introduce Hannah to a bunch of my community members for the first time. All in all it was a great evening and I boosted my confidence towards making food for my girlfriend to boot.



Squash Biscuits 


5c Flour
1/2 c Sugar
1 t Salt
1 can squash canned or frozen (more is better)
1c scalded Almond Milk
1/2 c Vegan Margarine
1 packet of yeast or follow directions on container in 1/4c luke warm water
2 9x9 in Pyrex pans

Place packet of yeast in luke warm temperature water until all the yeast has dissolved and there are little bubbles at the surface.
Using a microwave safe container place margarine and milk in the microwave for one minute thirty second in order to scald the milk and melt the margarine
In a large bowl combine the squash, salt, sugar, yeast, milk and margarine and mix until completely combined, when combined add the flour and mix again until all ingredients are combined.
When done cover bowl with a clean towel and let rise until doubled in size
Preheat over to 375 degrees
Grease both 9in x 9in glass pans
Grease hands and roll dough in 18 rolls placing 9 in each pan
Cover with towel and let rise again
When doubled in size place in oven for 18 minutes
When golden brown take out of the over and enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment