Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tofu Scramble and Sandwich

So I have been cooking for Hannah for about three months now, trying to make her introduce new foods, cooking so that she can always eat the food and so that she would only introduce at most one or two foods at one time. But cooing only for her just wasn’t cutting it any longer to satisfy my vegan adventures. I needed to branch out and start cooking for myself.

There is one thing that Hannah and I both share. We both cannot eat eggs. For Hannah if she eats an egg she could potentially end up in the hospital with a closed up throat. For me, when I eat an egg in an egg state (not in a baked stated) I get the worst stomach aches. Since I have not been able to eat eggs, eggs are the one thing that I have missed the most. Almost any breakfast food has eggs in them: omelets, French toast, scrambled eggs, fried eggs; I used to love them all. So not being able to eat them I started thinking about how I could substitute a morning egg dish.

While I was volunteering for a year I started experimenting with substitute egg dishes. The one recipe that I came across the most often in my searches was tofu scramble. My favorite so far is the one I found from Post Punk Kitchen   http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/

And for convenience sake, I'll write down my own version of the recipe.

Tofu Scramble

1 lb extra firm tofu drained and pressed
1 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 c chopped artichoke hearts
2-3 cloves garlic
¼ nutrition yeast
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt

Place oil in skillet on the stovetop. Brown onions 5 minutes add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes add artichoke for another 2 minutes. Add spices. Add ¼ c water to deglaze the pan.
Crumble tofu and mix well. Do not break up tofu, lift and turn in pan. Cook for 15 min stirring occasionally and adding water if tofu sticks. Combine nutritional yeast cooking for another few minutes. Serve and enjoy with a piece of toast and Fake’in.

The next day I used the leftovers in a sandwich with fake’in and mustard. I’m sure it would also be good with tomatoes, although I’m not a fan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment