Tuesday, March 1, 2011

French Toast



While Hannah was away on her epic cross country train trip, I did some research into vegan cooking. I went to the library and got out the first vegan cook book that stood out to me. A Quick and Easy Guide to Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia Simpson. In the entire book there were two foods that stood out, French toast and Mac and cheese. But the first one to try had to be the French toast.

As a child my mother would always make French toast in the morning with cinnamon raisin bread. I have many fond memories of those mornings sharing French toast with my mother. Since my senior year in college I have developed an intolerance to eggs. Which is lucky for Hannah and me as she also is unable to have eggs. Finding a French toast recipe that would not use eggs was heaven for me.

I tried the recipe out first just for myself just to make sure it would come out right before I gave it to Hannah. It turned out delicious! It almost tasted like the real thing. The only thing that I had to figure out was how to work my stove top and how much heat to use. On my first try I made one that was light and warm, the next one I made was far too crispy. I have never owned a gas stove before, and this one in my apartment is iffy.

Vegan French toast

1c Almond Milk
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Four slices of bread

Combine first five ingredients and whisk together until smooth, no lumps.
One at a time, place a slice of bread in mixture, flipping it to make sure mixture if soaked into bread
Spray pan with Pam or add oil
Place soaked bread on pan until golden brown or cooked to desired crispness.
Enjoy with apple sauce or pure maple syrup.

I served this recipe to Hannah for the first time the first morning we spent together after she got back from her trip. She loved them, saying that they tasted just like the real thing, just as she remembered them. Although she could not use the syrup I had at my apartment she had them with apple sauce. I made her French toast first and by the time I had finished mine she had already devoured hers. Her reactions to the option of eating French toast in the morning since I first fed them to her are very much akin to a blog both Hannah and I enjoy reading.   http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/god-of-cake.html

No comments:

Post a Comment