Monday, April 3, 2017

Quinoa "meat" balls


In an effort to have better/higher protein/more filling breakfasts, I decided to cook a bunch of quinoa on Sunday afternoon and then have it with fruit and almond or coconut milk throughout the week.  Since I was already cooking the quinoa, it seemed a good idea to make dinner with it at the same time! Sarah decided sometime in the last year or two that she didn't like quinoa, so I knew I couldn't just serve it with veggies.  I remembered making quinoa balls in the past, but when I looked at the recipe they seemed awfully complicated, so I improvised with the ingredients we had sitting around.  They turned out pretty good! Though they could have used an extra crisp. If I do it again I might do a quick fry at the end of baking.  

Quinoa "Meat" Balls

Ingredients:
1.5 - 2 c. Cooked quinoa (this is about .5 c dry cooked with 1 c water)
1 tbsp Flax meal
3 tbsp Warm water
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
.5 - 1 c vegan mozzarella (we use Daiya)
Olive oil for cooking
Marinara sauce for serving

1. In a small bowl or cup, mix flax meal with warm water until gooey. 
2. In a larger bowl mix the quinoa with the flax meal mixture. Then add the basil, oregano and garlic.  
3. After those ingredients are mixed, add the mozzarella fold in until well distributed.  
4. Put oil on a baking pan. Roll the quinoa mixture into 1-1.5 inch balls and place on the pan.  Should make about 12 balls.  Put a small amount of olive oil on the top of each ball. 
5. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes then bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  
6. Heat marinara sauce and pour on top for serving. 

These balls would also be good with onions or perhaps with some other herbs and spices.  



No comments:

Post a Comment