Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vegan Quiche

So I just moved to California and am bumming at Hannah's place until I find a place of my own and a job. For this reason there might be a bunch of recipes up over the next couple of weeks while I look for a job. I would also like to apologize for the lack of pictures over the next couple of posts. While I was in Nicaragua I lost my camera. I have been taking pictures but they are using Hannah's I-pod and i can't get them onto my computer thanks to not having the software downloaded on my comp. But pictures will be posted in a little bit.

The other day Hannah and I had some quests over to hang out and eat some good foods. The week earlier when I was visiting at my parents house my family had made normal quiche and since coming to Cali I had brought the idea up a few times to Hannah that we should try a vegan quiche. She was skeptical but willing to try it out.
Super excited about the idea I instantly started searching the web for vegan quiche ideas. Luckily there are about a million vegan quiche recipes out there and I was able to pick a nugget or two from a couple different ones. Although I got to say that the whole foods recipe looked the best in its complete form than any of the other ones. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2114

Vegan Quiche

1 vegan pie crust (I used Hannah's secret family recipe, sorry can't share)
1 package of firm tofu (squeezed to get all the liquid out)
1 medium onion chopped
2 cups of spinach (or more, the more veggie the merrier)
1 medium broccoli chopped
4-8 quartered artichoke hearts (dried of with a paper towel)
1 sliced pepper (red, green, or yellow, your choice)
1-2 shopped cloves of garlic
1/3 cups almond milk
2 Tbs tahini
2 tsp curry powder
2 Tbs olive oil
cayenne pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven 375
In a blender combine the tofu, almond milk, tahini, curry, cayenne until a paste. if too thick add more almond milk, or if you want a different flavor add some soy sauce.
In a frying pan saute the onions until translucent. add rest of veggies and cover until spinach is wilted.
In a medium bowl combine tofu mixture and vegetables
In a pie pan lay out pie crust. poke holes in the bottom with fork.
add mixture to pie pan
bake for 18-20 min
Once hard looking and a little brownish take out and enjoy with a little bit of ketchup.



We served this to our friends coming over, a risky business with new recipes, but the whole thing worked out great and our guests ate nearly the entire pie! Proof that is was delicious!
And not only is it delicious but it is crazy healthy. If you know anything about the weight watchers point system, something Hannah and I are a little addicted to, than you might be interested to know that this entire pie is only 18 points!  Just another excuse to eat the whole thing and not feel bad about it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment